Sunday, March 23

My favorite Irishman

While spending only one day with family isn't really enough, you can definitely get a sense of things. And this last trip was no exception. My step-dad, who has been battling the latter stages of diabetes was surprisingly and seemingly in good spirits and in much better health than on my previous visit. His eyesight seemed to have returned to a state in which he could enjoy and visit with those around him, not to mention his twin granddaughters. I melted a little inside when I watched him play with them, keeping them awake when they were supposed to be napping. Even though he has lost one leg to the disease, he was lively and moved around with precision and energy that was absent before. I watched with silent cheers every time he lifted himself up to rearrange himself in his wheelchair. He didn't have the strength before. Also absent was the discouraged attitude that had once persisted. Now he was happy and seemed very content in his day.

In a few days I will leave for Honduras and I will take these memories to keep me company.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ronnie, I feel so blessed to call you my friend... and this is a little bit of the reason why, right here. I love looking at the world through your eyes, and the words and images you offer up for me and everyone else to share in are a gift, my friend. Thanks.
The shirt sums it up...

Ronnie Ruiz said...

thank you Morgaine :)

jennidomingo said...

Tears in my heart...I remember the dazzle in John's eyes. I'm happy to see him with that resplendent vitality again through yours